And you thought sex was a natural occurrence? Well, here’s an update! Scientists from across the world have come together to prove that sex is completely scientific, perhaps as technical as photosynthesis and we bet the following scientific facts about sexual contact between two individuals will leave you completely shocked!
1. Lower cholesterol boosts sexual performance: If you are struggling in the bed, then chances are you’ve got to get your cholesterol level duly checked up by a doctor. Well, it might sound ridiculous but high cholesterol can actually lead to erectile dysfunction. And, according to a study undertaken by researchers at Rutgers University’s Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, people who take medication to lower their cholesterol level can actually enjoy better sex eventually.
2. If you don’t cuddle after sex, you can’t satisfy your partner: Women have been demanding it for ages, but looks like men will have to finally agree to cuddle their partners in bed, after a rocking sex session and that’s all thanks to a University of Toronto study, which has proven that cuddling post sex is as important to relationship satisfaction as the intercourse.
And, this satisfaction has everything to do with the release of oxytocin, which is produced when a couple indulges in a loving session of cuddling.
3. Get aroused and sex won’t be messy anymore: Well, isn’t sex a messy activity, mostly when you’re not in a mood? Well, that’s all because of the fact that sexual arousal overrides the body’s natural “disgust response, implying that you won’t find the act messy as long as you’re enjoying it.
According to a study undertaken by researchers from University of Groningen in the Netherlands, when a group of women were asked to watch either an erotic film, a sports video, or a neutral video of a train, and then perform a series of unpleasant acts (like drinking out of a cup with a bug in it), they found that those who’d watched the sexual acts rated the tasks as less disgusting and were also able to complete more of them as compared to their counterparts.
4. Some individuals are wired to have more sex: Yes! Well, while we are not hinting at nymphomaniacs or people whose sexual drives are overtly high but according to a University of California, Los Angeles study, an individual’s brain wiring may influence the number of sexual partners he or she has.
The researchers came to this conclusion when they performed brain scans of volunteers as they viewed sexually suggestive images and then probed the subjects about their individual sexual behaviours of past year. Apparently, it turned out that individuals whose brains were most active while viewing the sexual images, were also the ones who had most number of sexual partners.
5. Sex does burn calories. Here’s proof!: It’s the most commonly cited thing about sex but seldom have people believed it and guess now, it;s the time to actually get your facts right because according to a study by researchers from the University of Quebec, getting busy between the sheets for an hour can burn as many calories as 30 minutes of jogging!
As per the study, men burn an average of 4.2 calories a minute during sex, while women burned about 3.1. Overall, men and women burn about 101 and 69 calories per session, respectively.