What’s the worst chat-up line you’ve ever had come your way?
Whether it was that old classic about falling from heaven, or something a little more…coarse, bad chat-up lines can be as amusing, shocking – and ought to be essentially harmless.
There are other types of ‘pick-up’ lines out there however, which, while they may come across as sincere and hopeful, should cause VERY loud alarm bells to go off.
Why? Because of a very modern-day danger with looking for love online – online scamming.
So much so, London-based firm Scamalytics have developed software to automatically recognise scammers (although their grammar may deter you anyway) and have come up with 19 of the most common phrases that reveal their scamming intentions – and you should avoid like the plague.
As Charly points out: “Some are downright ridiculous, but as you’ll see from the list, others appear sensitive and quite believable”.
“If you want to see just how common these sentences and expressions are, copy some into Google, and see what comes up…”
N.b. Punctuation and grammar errors are intentional!
1. This sensuous and passionate catch
2. “I have a very good character and family values which I am sure will help me to find my soul mate.”
3. “There is no pictures in my profile besides am new to this and don’t have the idea of doing that so can you please get back to me with your email address…”
4. “I am ready for a serious relationship and I really look forward to starting that with the right person.”
5. “I try to do my best in self-creation and in self-education.”
6. “I understand it is important to lay down lasting foundations for a lasting relationship.”
7. This bright, shining star
8. “What I really need is a man of a big heart a man with a sense of humor a man who will love me and will accept my love.”
9. “I am a decent and faithful woman trust is very important for me.”
Read more: 35 creepy Valentine’s Day cards you won’t want to get through your letter box this Saturday
10. “Having past events shape your life is one thing carrying the past as a burden that sits heavily upon your shoulders.”
11. “I am looking for a strong personality for a man who will become that strong shoulder I will be able to rely on.”
12.”… the man who will become a true husband my beloved forever.”
13. “It seems to me the real beauty consists of harmonic connection of soul richness moral clearance and only after these ones of the physical appealing to the partner.”
14. “Since I hold your lovely heart I will hold it close to my heart to cherish protect hug kiss love.”
15. “Adore to spend my time with friends and dream to meet a man older than me and to feel myself like behind stone wall with him.”
17. “The real and natural beauty is inside of our soul somewhere deep in the soul and it reflects in the eyes.”
18. “As they say everything should be beautiful in a beautiful lady.”
19.”I believe miscommunication accounts for 90 of the issues in life so a big focus for me.”
Charly Lester is a journalist, blogger and dating industry expert. She’s also the founder and CEO of the UK Dating Awards and was an expert advisor to Lord Sugar in the final of The Apprentice.