Yes, he has fallen for a bot at least once.
1. They crowdsourced that profile. That witty one-liner or amazing picture? He ran it by friends and got feedback. All good profiles have some R&D behind them. Tinder is brutal and he needs to make sure his profile is as polished as possible.
2. They saw that opening line on Reddit. They snagged that funny icebreaker or smooth opener from /r/Tinder or somewhere else online. Hey, if it works, it works.
3. And you’re not the first person they’ve used it on, either. Even if he’s come up with something original on his own, it’s likely that’s he’s diversified his portfolio here and sent that message to a lot of people. If you’re not typically the one to initiate conversations on dating apps, this might come as a shock. But realistically, he can’t sit there and think of something new and witty EVERY time he wants to message someone. Well, he could, but if we’re being honest, a lot of guys are profoundly lazy.
4. He’s fallen for a bot account once. Listen, some of them are very convincing. It’s not embarrassing if he fell for the first line or two. It is embarrassing if he stayed up talking to a bot long into the night.
5. He just ended a massive swipe-right-fest. Who hasn’t thrown an episode of Black Mirror on and just absentmindedly and without a hint of irony turbo-swiped through a bunch of potential suitors?
6. He’s designed his profile to give you something to message him about. As previously mentioned, it’s tough for him to stand out from the presumable deluge of messages you’re being sent. That shot with his roommate’s dog was not an accident.
7. He’s double-checked to make sure he’s not getting catfished. If you seem too good to be true (and that’s certainly a compliment) then he definitely reverse-image-searched you (and even flipped the picture) just to be safe.
8. He sweated a lot before sending you that ‘hey.’ It takes nerve to send a ‘hey’ in 2018. Tinder has become a veritable arms race of pick-up lines. A man who sends ‘hey’ either has the confidence of a god or he got so inside his own head it broke him.
9. He only took so long to respond because you did. He’s mirroring your behavior. If you were too busy to respond right away, he doesn’t want to make it seem like he was sat by his phone waiting for your response.
10. He’s really 16 lol. JK GET OUT OF HERE.